Monday, March 31, 2014

Peter Pan and Camp

This past week, we had another volunteer group here at the Y. At first they were a quiet group, but mid week, they came full circle as far as Tuckman's stages go. I didn't really see too many storming phases which was interesting, but great. We were able to spend two days out at the Takini school on the reservation. I was only able to go out one day because I had to go pick up a new stove and our newsletters we had printed, but the day I did go out there, it was amazing! It's a pretty small school, but the kids and teachers were really nice and welcoming. I cannot wait to spend more time out in the communities. I also thought it was really neat for the volunteer groups to go out the school and spend some time with the kids there. Basketball is HUGE on the Rez and I haven't played that much basketball in a long time. Lots of lightning and half court games. We also passed the volleyball around and that was great too. We were invited into a classroom where they welcomed us with a (I don't know what to call it) small ceremony to welcome us with sage which we passed around the group. The kids are excited to have me back out and I am too.

Another issue I have been thinking a lot about is if there is a right or wrong way to think about different things that I grew up loving as a child that deal with Native American culture. For instance, as I'm typing this, I am watching Peter Pan (classic disney version that I grew up watching). Before taking this position and spending time out here within the Lakota culture, I wouldn't have thought twice about the Indian parts in the movie. I LOVE this movie. I love Nana and Peter and how sassy Tink is. I love the idea of never having to grow up. Now, when watching it, I am singing along with the songs and realize they are talking about "were out to fight the Injuns, the Injuns the Injuns" and I have to stop myself. What. The. Fuck? (pardon my language). The way Native Americans are portrayed in even Peter Pan is horrible. What the heck!? It goes to show how disconnected we are from cultures located within our own country. How is one suppose to feel when coming to these realizations? It's one of my favorite childhood movies, but holy wah! What now?

Also, camp. There are many camps located throughout the U.S. that are based on "Native Culture". I use that term lightly because there's wayyyy more to it than just that. I think about my camp that I grew up going to and Initiation that we hold at the end of each week. How special that was and still is to me. Seeing a counselor dressed as a native american in a canoe shoot a flaming arrow into Walloon Lake. The silence of camp as we sit there and watch. The war paint put on our faces and the counselors dressed in buckskin with large torches to lead the way to our sacred spot on the hill. I won't go into much more detail as to what happens at the top because it is something we consider special, but how does a person who has grown up participating in programs such as these who think they are honoring native cultures go on to understand that they aren't? Or are they? There is a fine line of honor and disrespect. I know that camps are not meaning to be disrespectful and in a sense are trying to bring kids who attend closer to nature and the nature world in which they are surrounded by, but when is it crossing that line? When are we not being politically correct? Is it important to be politically correct? I don't know.

On a brighter not so deep note, we had a blizzard today. It was unlike any Michigan Blizzard I have ever experienced. Out here on the prairie, it's soooo windy, add snow and it's really crappy. The dogs didn't want to go outside and that says a lot for Atlas (yooper dog). Check facebook for a funny stupid story about him and peeing on the couch. I drove to work which is only about two blocks away and couldn't see even 50 feet in front of me. Thank goodness school was cancelled, because there was no way you would be able to see any kids walking to or from. I got to work and stayed until about 12:30pm and decided to close up early. I was drifted in, but busted through with the Jeep. I figured I'd hit the store and started driving down towards main street, just to see two or three cars stuck (on main street) in drifts. Crazy. Out here snow plows don't just start up and start plowing. It takes a while. I had gone through so many drifts that snow got in/on my brakes and they were frozen. To say the least, I have been inside since then. Gross.

On Saturday, Demi, one of her friends and I hiked up to the top of Thunder Butte. We couldn't really find an easy way to the bottom, so we parked on the side of the road, went under some cattle fencing and started walking. It took about 3.5 miles to get to the bottom of the butte and in total was about a 7 mile hike. It was really cool to just start walking not really knowing how far away it was that we were actually going. Climbing the butte was interesting because it was pretty much straight up from the route I took. I tend to freak myself out when climbing like that and with the wind, I had to talk myself into continuing. The view was awesome though and I'm really glad we did it.

-Love Court

No comments:

Post a Comment