It's been a long month.
I started off heading to Minneapolis where I attended a course for the Y that was amazing and even though there were things that happened in my personal life during this time, I had a great time with my Grey Duck family and the rest of the Y family I got to meet there.
Then, it was off to California.
Once I arrived, I tried giving this homeless guy half of my brownie that I paid way too much money for and could only eat half. He was laying on the ground by the garbage and he turned it down. Ok. I threw it away. Then Micah arrived to pick me up! woot woot! I hadn't seen Micah in almost a year when we half jokingly talked about this crazy trip. Anyways, his friend Mike and Mike's girlfriend Josie picked us up and off we went. They were living in Mill Valley which is a pretty well off suburb of San Fran. We got the last of what we needed within the next day and made sure we had everything prepared.
(As you can see, it was mainly Micah checking things. I just wrote things down)
Below are the next so many days and most of the entries are taken directly out of my journal I kept and wrote in each night along with some additional info that I have added in from memory. Also, my battery on my phone died and between that and the fact that my feet hurt so much, I wasn't able to take too many photos. I will post some of the ones Micah took and if I do, they will be captioned that they are his.
Day 1. (Sunday)
Drove from Mike's- Mill Valley to Emeryville to catch train to Fresno. Got to Fresno, met Lisa (Shuttle for Vermillion Valley Resort) Great Ride up, stopped in Prather to get permit and iodine and food. (Cheese and sausage)- Micah forgot at Mikes. Drove up to Florence Lake. Road was insane! Arrived just in time for ferry across lake to other side. (when we were getting on the boat, there was a group getting off and there was a Forest Service Ranger. Micah recognized him and he recognized Micah. Def. Bill who majored in Outdoor Rec. maybe a semester before us from NMU. Small World)
We both felt super rushed all day, but we got on the boat and off we went. The boat driver was this hippie guy who you knew just blazed all day and drove a boat for the summer. He asked us if we had ever been backpacking and we said yes and then told him what we did for a living and what we majored in and he said "yeah, you guys look like you know what you're doing". Thanks.We had to arrive to Mammoth Lakes a day early because Micah made the food drop off there and they aren't open on the weekends because it's the post office. After we got off the boat and he departed back across the lake, I immediately felt way over my head. I wanted to turn around. I was scared. I wasn't exactly sure why, but with the craziness of the day and knowing we were going to have to make a whole day up, I was second guessing myself. It was stupid. I felt like I was going to cry and have to give up. I got my poles out and fixed my pack and that helped. The elevation difference along with the weight of my pack and climbing the 500 or so feet that we did that first night was horrible.
Day 2. (Monday) Official start day on the John Muir Trail
![]() |
| photo Micah took |
Last night after helping hang the bear bag, I stepped over a log weird and tweaked my back bad. I couldn't stand up all the way without it taking my breath away it hurt so much. Didn't really sleep well. Then had to hike with pack and it was all climbing. God to Senger Creek- Told Micah I couldn't do the whole thing because my back and that I was going to be done in Mammoth Lakes. I should have known. Back still hurts like hell. Don't want to tweak it again to point of no return. This sucks. Slept while sitting up for ten minutes at Senger Creek. Then hiked to Sallie Keyes Lakes. Beautiful. So tired. Went in water- cold but nice. Sitting by lake writing. Told Micah he could finish the half of the JMT without me if he wanted. I'd meet him in Yosemite. Exhausted just thinking about tomorrow. I let myself down...But once we got to Sallie Keyes we had the afternoon and the evening to hang out and I was really able to take a minute and realize what it was that I was doing. My back still hurt, but it didn't hurt as bad. The beauty that surrounded us was enough to help take away some of the pain as well. We walked around the peninsula that we were staying on and took some great photos. There were so many trout in the lake I wish I had a rod. Every ten seconds somewhere on the lake you could see one jump out of the water after a fly.
![]() |
| Sallie Keyes |
![]() |
| Sallie Keyes |
Day 3. (Tuesday)
My best friend's dad had passed away prior to my trip. I found out while I was in Minneapolis for the Y course. I looked into flights home instead of going on this trip, but the amount it would cost to transfer flights was outrageous. After speaking with my friend, I continued with the JMT Journey. I've known my best friend since we were three. We were in pre-school together and she's an amazing person. Not only is she strong and a great friend, but she has an amazing family. I call her mom my mom #2 along with her dad. They helped me out financially so I wouldn't have to stay in college for another whole year and are genuinely nice people. I had been planning this trip for over two years and it was Sally who got me the 20 maps needed for the trip and honestly, one of my only friends who really pushed me to actually do it. I remember going to her house and her dad would always ask me about where ever it was I was living and when I was going to go on this trip. I spoke with my own father and my mother and they both said that I need to do what Sal and Mr. H would have wanted and that was to be out in the woods. She had asked me to think of him while I was out there and ultimately, it felt like the whole trip was based around that. It was based around those that I loved, why I live where I live and do what I do and how it made a difference and all of life's awesome questions no one really knows the answers to...
![]() |
| (Micah's photo of Sallie Keyes after starting our ascent up to Selden Pass) |
As we were hiking, I started thinking about hwo this is the longest I've gone without contact with people and then I started thinking about all the horrible things that could happen or that could go wrong and how I'd have messages waiting for me in 5 days. The two main things that I narrowed my long list down to that could actually happen were that something happened to my dogs or my Grandma Pat. My birthday was the last day of camp and then with the hustle bustle to get everything put away and to close camp down and start this trek, I never called to thank her for my birthday card. If something happened to her while I was out here, I would be really upset. If I wasn't able to get home for the funeral I would hate myself for coming out here. We are using chlorine tablets for our water to save on weight of a filter. I hope they are working because it would also suck if they didn't. On a high note, my back feels a lot better. A part of me wants to finish what I set out to do and after a day like today, if all days were like this, I'd be down. But I know they all aren't like this. Even with the tape on my big toe (Left) and pinky toe and blister (Right), it was a good day. We also dropped about 2000 ft elevation so that was fun. Even with my feet hurting my pack felt alright and I guess we'll just have to wait and see when we get to Mammoth. I don't want to hate backpacking but I think I've learned I like short trips.
Day 4. (Wednesday)
900 up 2000 down- 59 switchbacks (HOLY WAH!) all before lunch. Blisters on feet total six. Woo!
After lunch- 500 up and 500 more up. Should have drank more water. Wanted to stop at Mono but then it would have been an extra 500 on top of 1700 climb tomorrow. My feet hurt bad and I kind of cried when we got to our campsite today because it was long. But I am so proud I pushed through to Mott Lake Junction today. We'll see how it goes tomorrow though with my feet. Don't stop now by queen is the song of the day. I'm nervous about tomorrow but I have a feeling it will be fine. Long, but Fine.
Day 5. (Thursday)
Sap on butt. Stupid. Climbed about 1800ft to start the morning off. A device that says elevation gain or mileage would have been sweet to take on this trip. eft Mott Lake Junction at 7am and made it to the top of Silver Pass at about 10:30am. Silver Pass is like this guy that I know... Let's just call him Tim (not real name of the guy, we'll leave it fake to protect him). So Silver Pass is a lot like Tim. Super nice, pretty... and knows he is. First off the stupid pass didn't even have a freakin sign. And you first reach Silver Pass Lake, which makes you think you've reached it. Nope. J.K. You still have to climb up passed that. Phew! Made it after that! Nope. J.K. again! That's the actual pass, but it's too steep so climb another 300ft up these switchbacks. There now you've made it. So after all that hard work and foreplay, no sign. But look how pretty it is!
![]() |
| Micah's Photo |
Tim- you have to love him. He's great. Anyways, but that point, my feet had had enough. Stopped for a snack- took boots off. Hiked down 1.5 miles to Squaw Lake. Ate lunch. Boots off. We passed by these two girls who were very chatty and I could tell Micah wanted to talk to them because they asked if we were heading to the hot springs. They then asked to show us where they were on a map and that's when I gave Micah the maps and took off to sit down somewhere away from the chatty Kathys. Apparently the springs were about 13 miles out of the way. Yeah, no thanks. I then met a guy from Brighton. He was pretty chatty as well and all I wanted to do was take my boots off and never put them on again, but I talked with him for a minute or two. Hiked 2.8 miles to Cascade Creek Junction.
Every day even with my hurt feet, it amazes me what my body can do. Physically, emotionally, all of it. The mountains out here are amazing. My phone is dead since Sallie Keyes and even with a camera, no camera would do this justice. It amazes me how in tune one can be with their world when that is all they have. I'm sitting on a rock soaking my blistered feet in a rushing glacier/mountain fed creek. I told Micah that if I were to ever be reincarnated I want to come back as a trout who lives up here. They have the best life. John Trudell spoke about how people who want to be natives already are. They're trying to be or find what their ancestors were. At some point all people were nomads. But when you're such a mix how do you identify?
![]() |
| Out of the ten or so blisters I got, this is Mount Whitney. Pretty fitting for this trip I thought |
Things seen on trail today: three people hiking with music playing. One of them- female wearing low cut form fitting cotton shirt exposing her blue "sexy" bra. Cool. Two minutes down the trail, man hiking with no shirt on- good luck on that tan sir... two old men in morning who hiked whole trail three weeks prior. Talked to them about Red's Meadow. Three older men at Duck Creek Crossing (one sitting right on the cross over the creek- annoying) but one was a funny Scottish man. Told us burgers/Cafe at Red's closed at 2pm. Was suppose to arrive at Red's tomorrow, but it's 11.5 miles and my feet have never hurt so bad. Went up to Tully hole- 300ft. then another 850ft to Virginia Lake.
![]() |
| Tully Hole is down at the bottom. We climbed all the way up on some great switchbacks. Looking down on to this was amazing. |
Then 450 more to Purple Lake- had lunch. Then 450ft more up and around mountain and down 400ft. to Duck Lake Crossing. Mileage- 7.2. Once we got here as I took my boots off I started getting teary eyed. I've tried so hard not to cry, but the pain mixed with the joy of stopping for the day was too much.
Day 7.
Duck Creek Junction to Red's.
11.2 miles on shitty feet.
Fuck hiking boots. I should have just worm my trail runners. I've been thinking a lot about this trip and what it means in my life right now and have decided that ultimately you cannot take anything for granted. Not that someone will still be there when you need them, not your health, nothing. Be thankful for what you have not shameful for what you don't. 47.8 miles and I have no idea elevation gained and lost yet. But honestly 2 years ago, I had this idea to set out on this journey for my 25th birthday. Hit the trail on August 9th and really do some "Soul Searching". Well, here I am 26 and it's September. I talked to my best guy friend's mom today on the phone. She said I was an amazing friend and that I shouldn't beat myself up about not being home for Sally. She made me cry then but also by telling me that she is so proud of me and that I deserve to stand on top of the mountains because I've worked so hard at life and that my parents are proud of me as well. Hearing that at that moment was perfect. Besides Sally's parents, this was my other "mom" and I am fortunate enough to have some many caring people in my life- close to me and far from me.
Anyways, back to JMT news... Hiked through some sweet shit today. Saw bear and mountain lion/bobcat scat and tracks and also hiked though the Rainbow Fire area which happened in the 90's. It was a very cold feeling walking through that fire area.
Things learned from this 9 day backpacking trip...
1. Take time to poop.
2. Experience your surroundings.
3. Wear boots that f'ing FIT!
4. Write down things you see, feel- physically/emotionally.
5. Smell the air.
6. Stay clean.
Mainly lonnnnng, slowwwww traverse down long switchbacks. Then! Arrived at Red's Meadow Resort! Small cute place although people who work there weren't as friendly as I expected them to be. Had a $10 cheeseburger that came with potato salad. Both were the BEST things I had ever experienced food wise. Wanted the $7.95 pie a la carte, but had no room for it in my stomach. It was HUGE though! Then to figure out how to get from Mammoth to Yosemite. Oh yeah, and from Red's to Mammoth because the shuttle stopped running after Labor Day. STRESSFUL! Met a husband/wife/dog family who had a son our age out here working. Anyways, they drove us down to Mammoth (Thank you trail angels!).
Amanda George (Outdoor Red. major friend) is going to pick me up Tuesday to Yosemite till Sunday then back to San Fran. for plane. Amanda is working at Yosemite as a Ranger. Praise God!
Sept. 11th, 2014
Today I've been wandering/ hiking in the Yosemite Valley solo. It's been great for people watching. After school starts back up, all the families pretty much leave the park and internationals and retired couples come and visit. There are mainly foreigners out. I've seen SO many couples that it makes me jealous. Will I ever get to walk hand in hand through here with someone? It makes me sick to think about. Maybe I'm just dehydrated and hungry.
![]() |
| The Meadow Fire made things a bit smokey |
![]() |
| Part of the JMT leading into Happy Isles |
1. Take time to poop.
2. Experience your surroundings.
3. Wear boots that f'ing FIT!
4. Write down things you see, feel- physically/emotionally.
5. Smell the air.
6. Stay clean.
![]() |
| Where we should have ended up if it weren't for blistered feet and forest fires! |
![]() |
| It's crazy at how little you truly need to survive. |
![]() |
| (Micah's photo) |





















No comments:
Post a Comment